Chemical and Allied Products Plc, a subsidiary of UAC of Nigeria Plc, is the technological licensee of AkzoNobel for Nigeria; (ICI was acquired in 2008 by AkzoNobel, the world’s largest paint producer). CAP Plc evolved from the world-renowned British multinational Imperial Chemical Industries Plc, which formalized it Nigeria operations in 1957 under ICI Exports Limited. In 1965, ICI Exports Limited changed its name to ICI Nigeria Limited and in 1968 it subsumed the paints company.
Following the promulgation of the first and second indigenisation Decrees in 1972 and 1977, ICI Nigeria Limited at first sold 40 percent but later 60 percent of its share capital to the Nigerian public, and went further to change its name by a special resolution of the shareholders to Chemical and Allied Products Limited (CAPL) in the spirit of indigenization. In 1991, the ‘Limited’ appellation was dropped for ‘Plc’ in compliance with the provision of the Companies and Allied Matters Act of 1990.
In 1992, ICI Nigeria Limited finally disposed of its minority 40% shareholding in CAP Plc when it sold 35.7% of the equity to UAC of Nigeria Plc and the rest to the Nigerian public on the floor of the Nigeria Stock Exchange. Currently, UAC of Nigeria Plc holds about 50.09% of the equity.
Today, CAP Plc fully operate in the coatings business and fully provides a wide range of quality products and services, and it brand have become household names. In November 2013, the company was awarded the ISO 14001:2004 certification on Environmental Management system (EMS). Dulux, the flagship brand, is positioned in the premium segment. Caplux is offered in the standard segment as fighter brand to protect overall volume share.
The Flagship Brand – Dulux
Dulux is the leading authority in the decorative paint segment and as such has always stood in the forefront on innovation and quality. The brand is a premium quality paint that provides an exceptional combination of durability and beauty. It allows consumers to fully express themselves in colours and creativity.
Dulux is strategically distributed through Dulux Colour Centres (DCCs) as the primary channel. Dulux Colour Centre is an innovative strategy introduced to bridge the gap between Dulux and its consumers. CAP Plc pioneered the colour centre concept in Nigeria in the year 2005, a move that began a revolution in the Nigerian paint industry.
Dulux Colour Centre Concept
The Dulux Colour Centre is a revolutionary strategy that meets the needs and aspirations of the Nigerian consumers who had expected the paints market to come up to standards as in the developed economies.
The DCC is designed to:
- Offer customers an opportunity to express their individualism in colour
- Provide an array of colours (over 12,000) and excellent colour scheming with speed and high precision
- Provides superior colour consultancy for discerning customers who visit the Dulux Colour Centre
The DCC operation is hinged on these pivotal factors:
- Ambience and courtesy
- Team work
Dulux Mobile Colour Centre
Dulux Mobile Colour Centre is a mobile outlet that was introduced to get the brand closer to the target consumers. This mobile outlets also serves as an experimental marketing tool, customers get same offerings as they will get from the company’s main distribution channels (Dulux Colour Centres).
DULUX COLOUR CENTRES
- Plot 1259, Aminu Kano Crescent, Wuse II, Abuja.
- Gouba Plaza, Plot 171, A. E. Ekukinam Street, Utako District, Beside Chisco Transport, Abuja.
- Plot 104, 3rd Avenue,( Pa Micheal Imoudu Avenue) Opposite Mr Biggs Gwarinpa II Estate, Abuja.
- 7, Dunukofia Street, Barki, Area II, By FCDA, Abuja.
- Bluecrest Mall,Km 43,Lekki-Epe Expressway, Ajah. Fara Park Estate, Majek B/Stop,Abijo,Lagos.
- KM 18/19, Lekki – Epe Expressway,Igbo-Efon Bus-Stop, (By Chevron Roundabout), Lekki, Lagos.
- 17a Aboyade Cole Street, Victoria Island, Lagos.
- 9A, Osolo Way, By Aswani Round About, Ajao Estate, Isolo, Lagos.
- Plot 2016, Festac Link Road, Beside Mobil Filling Station, Festac. Lagos.
- 17a Ajao Road, Off Adeniyi Jones Avenue, Ikeja, Lagos.
- 30 Adelabu Road, Surulere, Lagos.
- Lanre Awolokun Street, Charly Boy Bus-Stop, Gbagada, Lagos.
- 156/186, Aba – Port Harcourt Expressway, Opp. Waterlines B/Stop,Port-Harcourt.
- 26 Trans Amadi Industrial Layout, Rumubiakani , Port-Harcourt.
- Sanzt Plaza Building, 351 Nnebisi Road, By Pointer Newspaper, Opposite Stanbic Bank, Asaba.
- 40, Effurun- Warri Road, Warri.
- IBADAN: 2A Aare Avenue, Awolowo Road, New Bodija, Ibadan.
- ENUGU: 19, Ogui Road, Canute House, Enugu.
- KANO: 9b Niger Street, Opposite Royal Tropicana Hotel, Kano.
- KADUNA: 11 Independence Way, Kaduna, Kaduna State.
- UYO:1 Ikpa Road, By Ikotekpene Road, Opposite University Of Uyo, Uyo.
- JOS: 11 Bank Road, Opposite Inland Revenue Office, Jos.
- YOLA: Lamido Mustapha Road, Opposite Federal College Of Education, Yola, Adamawa State.
- GOMBE: Alhajiyel Plaza, Opposite Nipost Office, Bauchi Road, Gombe State.